Thomas Rosenbaum is a seasoned mechanic who transitioned into the world of grilling after retirement. Renowned for his innovative and technically-driven grilling techniques, Thomas enjoys experimenting with various grilling and smoking equipment to achieve the perfect cook.
Of course, I can! Grilling chicken drumsticks is one of my favorite things to do. The crispy skin, juicy meat, and smoky flavor make it a crowd-pleaser every time. Let me share with you my go-to recipe for perfectly grilled chicken drumsticks.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a charcoal grill, make sure the coals are evenly distributed and glowing orange.
2. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. This flavorful spice rub will give your chicken drumsticks a delicious kick.
3. Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel to ensure the spice rub adheres well. Then, drizzle the drumsticks with olive oil and rub them all over to coat evenly.
4. Sprinkle the spice rub over the drumsticks, making sure to cover all sides. Massage the spices into the meat, so every bite is bursting with flavor.
5. Place the drumsticks on the preheated grill, directly over the heat source. Close the lid and let them cook for about 8-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Turning them occasionally will help achieve even cooking and prevent burning.
6. If you prefer a smokier flavor, you can add a few wood chips or chunks to the grill. Soak them in water for 30 minutes beforehand to create a fragrant smoke.
7. Once the drumsticks are cooked through, transfer them to a platter and let them rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in tender and juicy meat.
8. Serve the grilled chicken drumsticks with your favorite dipping sauce or alongside a fresh salad and some grilled vegetables. They make a fantastic main course for any backyard barbecue or weeknight dinner.
There you have it – a simple and delicious recipe for grilling chicken drumsticks. With this recipe, you'll achieve perfectly cooked drumsticks with a flavorful spice rub and a smoky finish. For more grilling tips, recipes, and accessories, be sure to check out Grill Matey. Happy grilling!